U.S. CitizenshipGreen CardCheck StatusVisasUSCIS OfficesFormsContact UsFull SiteSign InApplication CenterSign Out

Replace U.S. Citizenship Certificate

  • Prepare your official USCIS application online
  • Everything you need to prepare and file your application
  • Our system will assist you every step of the way
  • Start your application for $199 plus USCIS filing fees
  • Helpful tips to help you file your application correctly
  • Free Eligibility Quiz included!
Start My Application Online

US Immigration Technology LLC is not a law firm nor a substitute for the advice of an attorney. Customer support will assist with technical and billing questions, but will not answer any legal questions. All forms that can be completed online through our site are available for free at USCIS as blank forms with written instructions. US Immigration Technology LLC is not a government agency and not affiliated with or endorsed by any government agency. Any fees for our services do not include any applicable government filing fees and our refund policy can be found in our Terms of Use. We offer 24/7 telephone support and our technology helps you quickly and accurately complete your immigration application and generate all the forms you will need to submit your application to the USCIS.


Replacing Citizenship Certificate with Form N-565

U.S. citizens who need to replace their naturalization or citizenship certificate file Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document, to request a replacement. A naturalization certificate is initially delivered to a citizen in exchange for theirGreen Card at their naturalization ceremony. A citizenship certificate is granted to individuals who are U.S. citizens by birth to citizen parents, but who were born outside the U.S. (The parent typically initially obtains their child's citizenship certificate by filing Form N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship.) If a naturalization or citizenship certificate needs to be replaced, file Form N-565.

When should I file for a new citizenship certificate?

Here are the five main reasons to replace a naturalization or citizenship certificate, along with what must be attached to the completed form:

  • Original certificate is mutilated — Attach the original certificate, two identical passport-style photographs, and the filing fee.
  • Original certificate is lost or destroyed — Attach a copy of the certificate if you have a copy, two identical passport-style photographs, and the filing fee.
  • Legal name change — This means a court changed your name after you received the original. Attach the original certificate, two passport-style photographs, the filing fee, and proof of the name change: a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order.
  • Foreign country requires a special certificate — A foreign country may require a special certificate to recognize you as a U.S. citizen. Attach two passport-style photographs, the filing fee, and a copy of the original certificate. Don't send the original because it's not required and you may not get it back. If approved, the new certificate will be sent U.S. Department of State for delivery directly to the foreign government.
  • USCIS made a mistake — A filing fee is not charged for USCIS error. However, you cannot use Form N-565 to change a wrong birth date on the original.

While processing an application, USCIS may request an interview, more information, or an original document where only a copy is generally required (originals will be returned in this situation).

How long does it take to replace a citizenship certificate?

The USCIS may take six months to process a request for a replacement citizenship certificate.

How much does it cost to replace a citizenship certificate?

The following is a breakdown of the different fees associated with Form N-565 with application assistance:

  • Application preparation fee: $199
  • USCIS filing fee: $555
  • Total: $754