U.S. CitizenshipGreen CardCheck StatusVisasUSCIS OfficesFormsContact UsFull SiteSign InApplication CenterSign Out

Travel Document

Form I-131 Software Preparation Services


  • Prepare your USCIS application using our online software
  • Secure, easy to use software will assist you every step of the way
  • Check if you're eligible to use our software before starting
  • Access to independent attorney review service
  • Document translations available for an additional fee
  • Helpful tools to prepare and file your application correctly
  • Peace of mind
Online Software Preparation Fee $199
Government Fees not included

WE ARE NOT A GOVERNMENT AGENCY. PURCHASE PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE GOVERNMENT FILING FEES. BLANK FORMS ARE AVAILABLE WITH INSTRUCTIONS FOR FREE FROM THE USCIS. Our online software allows you to complete your application for submission to the USCIS. We are not a law firm nor a substitute for the advice of an attorney. Our 24/7 customer support is for technical and billing issues, and will not answer legal questions or give legal advice. The Refund Policy is found in our Terms of Use.


What are the government fees to apply for a Travel Document?

The following is a breakdown of the government fees typically associated with Form I-131:

  • Re-entry Permit:
    • USCIS Fee: $575
    • Biometrics fee: $85
  • Refugee Travel Document:
    • USCIS fee (age 16 and older): $135
    • USCIS fee (younger than 16): $105
    • Biometrics fee: $85
  • Advance Parole Document:
    • USCIS fee: $575

Form I-131 - Application for a Travel Document

The Application for a Travel Document, Form I-131 is used mostly by non-citizen residents of the United States to request permission to leave the U.S. and return.

The form is used as a placeholder for a non-citizen's right to reside in the U.S. and is an important part of planning for international travel.

What travel documents can Form I-131 be used for?

Form I-131 is used mostly to apply for three different kinds of travel documents, which are used for people with different types of immigration status. The documents are:

  • A reentry permit
  • A refugee travel document
  • An advance parole document

Who can use Form I-131? What are the requirements?

Form I-131 can be used by people with the following statuses to get a travel document from the USCIS:

  • Permanent residents (Green Card holders)
  • Conditional permanent residents (such as Green Card holders who got their Green Cards through marriage or investment)
  • Refugees and asylees
  • Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) recipients
  • Other, rarer statuses

Requirements for filing Form I-131 include the ability to attend a biometrics appointment with the USCIS and supporting documentation that should be submitted along with the application form.

Supporting documentation for the Application for a Travel Document differs depending on a person's immigration status and what kind of document they apply for. Keep in mind that the USCIS only requires copies of supporting documentation and not the originals. The following is a sampling of required documentation:

  • Form I-551 or Form I-797 for a reentry permit
  • A document that shows refugee or asylee status for a refugee travel document
  • For an advance parole document, you will need to send in a copy of a document that shows your current status such as a copy of Form I-485 or I-821D.

Note: it is important to read the form instructions carefully when putting together your supporting documentation as everyone's case is different.

What is the process? How long does it take?

The process of applying for a travel document is similar to submitting other applications to the USCIS and follows this basic pattern:

  1. File your Form I-131 with supporting document to the appropriate USCIS office.
  2. Attend the biometrics (fingerprinting) interview at the USCIS.
  3. Based on the information provided, the USCIS will decide whether or not you will get a travel document in a process called "adjudication."

The application time can take three months from the time of sending your application in to receiving your travel document.