U.S. CitizenshipGreen CardCheck StatusVisasUSCIS OfficesFormsContact UsFull SiteSign InApplication CenterSign Out

Green Card For Brother or Sister(I-130/I-485)

  • Complete your official USCIS application online
  • Everything you need to complete and file your application
  • Our system will assist you every step of the way
  • Helpful tips to help you file your application correctly
  • Free Eligibility Quiz Included!

Family-based green card—Sibling

A permanent resident card (Green Card) permits you to live in the U.S. as a permanent resident. USCIS accepts Green Card applications from the brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens who are at least 21 years of age. (A foreign sibling may not apply for a green card based on their brother or sister holding a green card.) Your sibling’s journey to permanent residence in the U.S. begins when you file Form I-130, Sponsor Family for a Green Card with the USCIS.

What are the requirements for a sibling's immigration?

Siblings for whom you can petition include brothers and sisters through adoption, through stepparents and half-siblings. USCIS will require documents that prove your relationship to your brother or sister. These documents vary depending on the nature of your relationship.

What do I do after the USCIS approves the petition?

Once USICS approves your petition, USCIS sends it to the U.S. Department of State's National Visa Center (NVC) for assignment of a visa number. When the NVC assigns their visa number, then the NVC will send your sibling's local U.S. consulate or embassy your immigration petition and your brother or sister’s visa number. After getting a visa number, your sibling will then consult the local U.S. consulate or embassy about how to proceed in their visa processing.

How long does it take for a brother or sister to immigrate?

While immigration applications are often approved after a few months, brothers and sisters have to wait the longest of any relative of a U.S. citizen. It is important to file as soon as possible to shorten the total amount of time your relative has to wait.