U.S. CitizenshipGreen CardCheck StatusVisasUSCIS OfficesFormsContact UsFull SiteSign InApplication CenterSign Out

Employment Authorization

  • Prepare your official USCIS application online
  • Everything you need to prepare and file your application
  • Our system will assist you every step of the way
  • Start your application for $199 plus USCIS filing fees
  • Helpful tips to help you file your application correctly
  • Free Eligibility Quiz included!
Start My Application Online

US Immigration Technology LLC is not a law firm nor a substitute for the advice of an attorney. Customer support will assist with technical and billing questions, but will not answer any legal questions. All forms that can be completed online through our site are available for free at USCIS as blank forms with written instructions. US Immigration Technology LLC is not a government agency and not affiliated with or endorsed by any government agency. Any fees for our services do not include any applicable government filing fees and our refund policy can be found in our Terms of Use. We offer 24/7 telephone support and our technology helps you quickly and accurately complete your immigration application and generate all the forms you will need to submit your application to the USCIS.


Form I-765 - Application for Employment Authorization

Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, is used by some foreign residents living in the United States to get the permission to work. After a successful application for Form I-765, the foreign resident receives an Employment Authorization Document (EAD)

Citizens, permanent residents (Green Card holders) and some non-immigrant visa holders do not have to apply for permission to work using Form I-675.

However, everyone in the United States needs to have some immigration status in order to work, whether it is their citizenship or an Employment Authorization Card.

Who can apply for Employment Authorization using Form I-765?

The following is a list of some immigration statuses that may entitle a foreign resident to an Employment Authorization Card. All applicants should read the instructions closely before filing.

  • Asylees and Refugees
  • Temporary Protected Status (TPS) recipients
  • F-1 academic students (employment limited by visa requirements)
  • J-2 exchange students (Employment limited by visa requirements)
  • M-1 Nonacademic students (Employment limited by visa requirments)
  • Spouses of E-1/E-2 Treaty Trader or Investor, E-3 Certain Specialty of Occupation Professional from Australia or L-1 Intracompany Transferee
  • K-1, K-2 or K-3 visa holders
  • Adjustment of Status applicants waiting for their permanent resident cards (Green Cards)
  • DACA or other deferred action recipient
  • Other visa designations

How to apply for Employment Authorization using Form I-765

The process of filing for an Employment Authorization Card includes filling out the form correctly, attaching required evidence of your right to Employment Authorization and attending a biometrics appointment at a USCIS office.

How long does it take to get Employment Authorization?

Depending on the basis for which you are applying for an Employment Authorization Document, the process may take up to three months or more.

Incorrectly filed applications or requests for additional information from the USCIS may further delay your Employment Authorization Document.

How much does it cost to get Employment Authorization?

The following is a breakdown of the total cost of applying for an Employment Authorization Document with application assistance:

  • Application preparation fee: $199
  • USCIS Fee: $410 (Exceptions available for some application reasons)
  • Biometrics fee: $85 (Exceptions available for some application reasons)
  • Total: $694